Tuesday 8 November 2011

Chicken & Spinach Lasagne

I've never made chicken lasagne, or eaten it which is quite surprising; so I thought I would make one for dinner. I didn't follow a recipe, I just put in what I thought might taste nice. I didn't have lasagne sheets so I just layered a spiral one. I wasn't planning on putting evaporated milk in the chicken mixture but I'm so glad that I did, so creamy and delish!




Chicken Lasagne
Serves 6


400g pasta (or normally I would use 10 lasagne sheets)
2 medium chicken breasts, diced (I poached mine)
1 tsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic
400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 large onion, finely diced
10 button mushrooms, diced
1/2 C light evaporated milk
2 C fresh spinach leaves
Cheese sauce:
1 tbsp margarine or butter
1 tbsp flour
1 C milk
1/2 tsp mustard
salt & pepper
1/2 C cheese


Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius on fan bake. Heat a medium frypan with the oil and sweat down the onions with the garlic half way then add the mushrooms and cook.


Then to the frypan add the chopped tomatoes, cooked chicken and evaporated milk and simmer for a few minutes. Season to taste.


To make the cheese sauce, melt the butter in a small saucepan then add the flour to make a roux. Slowly stir in small portions of the milk with a whisk to remove any lumps and to get a thick sauce, add the mustard and season. Then remove off the heat and add 1/4 C of the cheese which will melt into the sauce.


In a medium/ large oven dish spread half of the chicken mixture in the dish then cover with the half of the fresh spinach and top with a layer of pasta sheets, then repeat until all of the chicken mixture is used. Top with the cheese sauce and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Cover with tin foil and bake for 40 minutes or until the pasta sheets have cooked. Remove the tin foil and brown the top for about 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment